Have your own Blogger site and wish to move to WordPress, but don’t want to lose your precious amount of traffic and Google search rankings at the same time? Here, we got your worries covered with this blog post that will guide you on “How to move Blogger to WordPress without losing SEO”.
Let’s get started!
Why Would You Migrate from Blogger to WordPress?
First of all, Blogger is a simple blogging platform used to only create blog content and post it up. Because when you want to expand your site to a larger scale like informative site or a business site, Blogger may not provide the features you need.
WordPress is a fully featured CMS where you can rely on from creating a personal blog to a business site.
A few bonus benefits with WordPress:
- Self-hosted – You choose where to host, on which hosting company, and you will have greater control.
- Light – Uses light memory, loads fast, and gives great user experience to visitors.
- Plugin and themes – Tons of plugins and themes are available to choose from to create a beautiful site.
- SEO friendly – The plugins and themes make website SEO friendly for better site ranking.
Now that you know the benefits of WordPress! Let’s get into the easy steps!
3 Easy Steps to Migrate from Blogger to WordPress
Step 1. Get Web Hosting
First, find the best web hosting provider for a hosting package and install WordPress in it.
You can check out DomainPlus hosting plans, which provide one-click installer for WordPress, user-friendly control panel, free SSL certificate, 24/7 technical support, and more!
Once you get one of the DomainPlus hosting plans, you can use the cPanel to install WordPress.
- Head to the Hosting menu on the cPanel, scroll down to Softaculous Apps Installer.
- Select WordPress and fill out all required information, including your domain name, then click Install.
Step 2. Manually Transfer Your Site Data
Next, move your Blogger site’s content to WordPress manually:
- From the Blogger Dashboard, go to Settings -> Other.
- In the Import & back up section, select Back up Content -> Save to your computer. An XML file will be downloaded automatically to your device.
- Now, head to the WordPress Dashboard, there go to Tools -> Import.
- Choose Blogger by clicking Install Now, then select Run Importer.
- On the Import Blogger page, press the Choose File button.
- Locate the XML file you’ve saved and Upload it.
- You will be redirected to the Assign Authors page. Fill out the user information and click Submit.
Great, now you have all your content moved to WordPress platform. Now the final step is to redirect all your traffic.
Step 3. Redirect Your Traffic with a Plugin
Redirecting your traffic is part of maintaining SEO from your old site to WordPress. We’ll need a WordPress plugin “Blogger to WordPress Redirection”.
First of all, set up your WordPress permalinks to resemble Blogger’s link structure.
- Head to WordPress Dashboard -> Settings -> Permalinks.
- In the Common Settings section, choose Month & name.
- Hit Save Changes.
Now, let’s start the redirection setup:
- Download and activate the Blogger To WordPress Redirection plugin from the WordPress dashboard’s plugin section.
- Navigate to Tools -> Blogger To WordPress Redirection.
- Click the Start Configuration button to display the List of Blogs section. Then press Get Code. Copy the generated code.
- Now, head to your Blogger Dashboard -> Theme.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Revert to classic themes. Before inserting the code, it’s recommended to backup your old Blogger theme in case anything goes wrong.
- In the Edit Theme HTML box, replace the whole code with the generated one -> Save theme.
- Finally if you want to test whether the redirection is successful, head back to the Blogger To WordPress Redirection page and select Verify Configuration. Click the Blogger link in the Test Case section.
The Bottom Line
Since Blogger provides simple features for blogging, it is important to migrate it to WordPress to have better features and grow your site. As a result, you shall need to redirect your precious traffic and maintain a part of SEO above all to the new platform.
Here is a recap:
- Find a hosting that will meet your needs, and install the CMS (WordPress).
- Move your site’s content manually by downloading the XML file from Blogger, then upload it to WordPress.
- Use the Blogger To WordPress Redirection plugin to automatically redirect existing traffic and search engines to your new site.
Well, above all that’s it. Give it a try. If you have any further enquiries, please feel free to ask us at: https://support.domainplus.com.my/en/support/tickets/new.